Thursday, November 30, 2006

5 Seasons Brewing


Atlanta, Georgia
(404) 255-5911
Price: $20-$30

By Kim Malawy

The 5 Seasons Brewing is intriguing, intimate, casual and is the new hot spot in Roswell. This restaurant has combined its dimmed and cool winter like surroundings with food that is as warm and majestical as summer.

Combining handcrafted beers, organic inspired meals, and a casual dining atmosphere gives 5 Seasons Brewing an edge over its competitors. It reminded me of being at a mountain lodge with open windows engulfed by trees, dark wood furniture, and a candlelit room. The casual dress and exquisite food made me feel so comfortable that I forgot I was in a restaurant.

Partners David Larkworthy, the executive chef, and Dennis Lange certainly accomplished their goal of creating a casual welcoming surrounding, handcrafted beer on demand, continuously changing menu that reflects the local growing season, and authenticity rules, with everything prepared in-house.

Larkworthy really puts a Napa-like culinary touch into every bite. Together they created a dining experience that was elegant in its simplicity- real food paired with real beer.

5 Season Brewing offers a variety of menu items. The “Little Plates” appetizer section consists of items that range from the Seasonal Soup du Jour to grilled rice balls, calamari, Bratwurst and even more. I chose the Kari Kari for my “Little Plate.” It was a delectable mix of crab and cream cheese in a dumpling dipped in a brownish ponzu sauce. The texture was that of a thinly sliced bread that was translucent. The crab and cream cheese mix filled in your mouth in just one bite.

After that enjoyable item I was off to my organic salad. I chose the iceberg wedge with Danish blue cheese, spicy pecans, Bermuda onions and tomatoes. The cool crisp lettuce was as fresh as fresh could be, crunching in my mouth bite after bite. Drizzled on top was the sweet flowing blue cheese dressing. Surrounding the lettuce were big chunks of fresh blue cheese that were my favorite part of the dish. The fruit and pecans added a nice touch of color to the dish and many different sensations in my mouth.

The dinner entrees were split into two different sections. One being grilled pizzas and the other being meat dishes. I was lucky enough to go with five other people so I got a good grasp on a variety of meals.

First and foremost was my meal, the grilled ravioli. The mere presentation was astonishing. A stack of Louisiana crawfish, sausage, onions, asparagus, and red peppers were bundled in fried tortilla stacks surrounded by a beautiful orange cream sauce that resembled a setting sun. Each piece melted in my mouth so fast I barely had time to chew. This spicy and succulent meal was enhanced by the fresh taste of the crabmeat.

Number two on my list was definitely the kobe hanging tender. The knowledgeable waiter informed us that a kobe is the meat on the chest bone of a cow. The kobe is so tender that you do not even need a knife to cut through it. Its surroundings consisted of baby shitake mushrooms and sweet onions that added a unique spice to the meat.

Another good meal was the filet au poivre(with pepper). But watch out; if you don’t like pepper do not get this meal because it seems to overpower the steak. Other than that, it was tender and grilled to perfection. Its side of smashed potatoes was a nice compliment to the steak.

The house-cured salmon pizza was one I did not like because I am not a fish fan. This pizza was topped with avocado, cilantro, and Bermuda onions. There are plenty to choose from and are a perfect size to fill up one person, and hey, you might even have a little to take home.

Whatever you do, don’t miss out on tasting 5 Seasons’ handcrafted beer. There are varieties to choose from for dark beer lovers and light beer lovers.

The great ambiance, the great eating, and great company will put you right into the fifth season!

2 comments:

BLOGGER BACKGROUND said...

I'm going home to Marietta for the next week and I'm looking for a good excuse to get out of the house -- 5 seasons brewing might be it.

Maybe I'll take my mom, if she's behaving nicely.

BLOGGER BACKGROUND said...

Once again, the above comment was posted by Lauren Morgan. I don't know why this is giving me a hard time.